Below is a list of languages offered at UNC-CH that may be used to fulfill the Foreign Language (FL) General Education requirement.

Language offerings vary each semester; check ConnectCarolina and/or the appropriate academic department each term for what is available.

Arabic (ARAB) Japanese (JAPN)
Czech (CZCH)* Kiswahili (SWAH)*
Cherokee (CHER) Korean (KOR)
Chichewa (CHWA)* Latin (LATN)
Chinese (CHIN) Lingala (LGLA)*
Dutch (DTCH)# Persian (PRSN)
French (FREN) Polish (PLSH)*
German (GERM) Portuguese (PORT)
Greek—Classical (GREK) Russian (RUSS)
Hebrew—Modern (HEBR) Serbian & Croatian (SECR)*
Hindi-Urdu (HNUR) Spanish (SPAN)
Hungarian (HUNG)* Wolof (WOLO)*
Italian (ITAL)

# Beginning level is DTCH 402
* Beginning level is 401

Important: Students may not drop introductory and intermediate foundation language courses after the second week of classes, without permission of an Assistant Dean in Academic Advising. Permission is only granted under extenuating circumstances.

Remember: the General Education requirement for Foreign Language requires that you complete through Level 3 of a language. This does not mean that you have to take 3 semesters worth of language on campus; you simply have to have credit or placement through level 3.

If you place into a level beyond Level 4:

If the results of the online UNC-CH foreign language placement exam place you beyond Level 4, you will need to have your placement confirmed once the fall semester opens. Once classes begin, contact the person for your foreign language from the list on page 57 of the Academic Advising Guide. If your placement is confirmed you will receive placement credit (PL) for Levels 3 and 4 (no hours will be awarded) and your foreign language requirement will be fulfilled.

Additional Information about Foreign Languages at UNC-Chapel Hill:

  • Most modern foreign languages classes at Carolina are taught in that language from the first day of Level 1.
  • Level 1 of some languages is only taught in the fall term (e.g., Spanish, Arabic).
  • It is more difficult for sophomores, juniors and seniors to get seats in introductory Spanish and Arabic courses. It is your responsibility to plan accordingly.
  • If you believe your foreign language placement is inaccurate, you must still register for the level into which you placed if you plan on studying that language. After attending class for a day or two, you may speak with the instructor about the possibility of changing your placement level. [The Department of Romance Languages requires you to obtain a “Change of Foreign Language Placement” form (or other appropriate documentation) from the department and present it to your academic advisor.]
  • If you have experience in Chinese, Japanese or Korean and wish to continue study of the language at UNC-CH, you must take the on-campus placement exam (see page 61 of the Academic Advising Guide) regardless of any IB, SAT or AP test scores.