Students who began their college careers fall 2007 or later have eight semesters of full-time enrollment to complete requirements for a degree program. Under rare and extenuating circumstances, students may request permission to enroll for an additional semester. Students who are permitted to enroll in an additional semester may graduate with only a single major and no minor, even if all the work for the minor or second major has been completed.

Students who have valid reasons to request additional semesters are encouraged to complete and submit the Additional Semester Appeal Form.  This form should allow you to complete and submit it via email.  If your browser does not give you that option, you will need to print and complete it, then bring it to Courtney Briscoe, ground floor Steele building. To see the types of appeals that are often granted and those that are not, consult the Additional Semester Information handout.


To take courses at the University after graduation, students must apply to and be admitted by the Friday Center for Continuing Education, the Summer School, the Graduate School, or certain Health Affairs schools. Students cannot register as undergraduate students in the College of Arts and Sciences after earning a Bachelor’s degree from UNC-Chapel Hill or from any other school.