Welcome! From orientation to graduation we are here to guide undergraduates in the College of Arts & Sciences and the General College on their academic path. We serve current and returning students including all first-year and sophomore students as well as juniors and seniors with majors in the College of Arts & Sciences.
Our Vision Statement
Academic advising is an essential element of the educational experience that transforms undergraduates at Carolina.
Our mission is to create a supportive environment in which we partner with undergraduates as they explore personal goals, develop educational plans, and thrive at Carolina.
- We believe that all undergraduates at UNC-Chapel Hill have the strengths and skills necessary to succeed.
- We support a rich diversity of students who bring unique ideas and perspectives.
- We value our partnership with students as we guide them along their path of self-discovery.
- We expect students to take responsibility for their academic choices and progress.
- To create an environment which fosters positive engagement with undergraduates and provides a supportive workplace for staff
- To partner and support undergraduates as they navigate their academic journey
- To encourage undergraduates as they explore interests, skills and abilities
- To engage with undergraduates through the development of meaningful educational plans
- To motivate undergraduates to Thrive @ Carolina and reach their ultimate goal of graduation
- We serve more than 16,000 students in the College of Arts & Sciences (85% of all undergraduates).
- Located in the Steele Building, Hardin Hall, and in the Loudermilk Center, we advise students through daily drop-ins, by appointment, and during an afternoon online chat.
- We combine the technology of online advising modules with interpersonal and developmental advising to all undergraduates.
- We offer guidance with regard to academic planning, the declaration of majors and minors, educational opportunities, and share information about a myriad of campus resources that support academic success.
- We clear over 3,300 students for graduation each year in the College and work with those who are close to completing their degree or are returning after a break in their academic career.
- In 2016-2017 we made over 70,000 unique advising contacts with students and acted on more than 700 petitions for academic exceptions.
- In the past few years with the support of The College of Arts & Sciences, we have reduced very high student caseloads from 591/1 to 497/1. It is our goal to further reduce those caseloads to less than 300/1.
Come and see us in one of our three locations during drop-in hours and for advising appointments. Explore and make use of the information on our website to contribute to your academic success. To learn more about our office, click one of the links at the left.
Lee Y. May, Ph.D., Associate Dean and Director, Academic Advising Program