UNC Advising Virtual Drop-Ins
UNC Advising Virtual Drop-Ins Schedule
We are currently not offering in-person drop-ins, please see the following virtual schedules below:
Exception: 12/16 drop-ins cancelled due to a departmental retreat
You may sign in to drop-in hours and see how long the drop-in queue is here.
Please make an appointment with your Advisor.
**If you are signed in to the drop-in queue before drop-in hours end, you will be seen by an advisor that day. Please continue to wait until an Advisor calls you.**
UNC Advising Drop-Ins Resources
You will want to make sure that you have created your UNC Zoom account.
If you have any questions about how to access the Virtual Drop-In Queue please see our “Instructions for Accessing Virtual Drop-In Queue” (pdf) document.
Below you will find a brief outline of what to expect when you sign into Zoom.
- A member of the Advising staff will greet you and will move you into a Zoom waiting room.
Please note that during high volume times (i.e., the first week of classes, registration, course drop or pass/fail declaration deadlines) there will be several students signing into Zoom at once, and it may take a few minutes to move to the Zoom waiting room.
- Once in the Zoom waiting room, as the name implies, you will wait to be called by an Advisor. Other students will be waiting as well. Depending on how busy drop-ins are, the wait time will vary. You may want to have other things to do while you wait. Advisors will work through the drop-in list. In some cases, based on an Advisor’s area of expertise, they may call students out of order. Please know that you will be called by the next available Advisor who can assist you. As long as you are signed in to the drop-in queue before drop-in hours end, you will be seen by an Advisor that day.
- If you see your name disappear from the drop-in list, it means that an Advisor has called you and you will move to their Zoom breakout room momentarily. There is nothing you need to do; the Advisor will take care of moving you into their breakout room.
- Once you have finished meeting with an Advisor and you have no further drop-in advising needs, you do not need to return to the Zoom main room. Simply, click “Leave Meeting”.
- If an Advisor is referring you to see a Dean, the Advisor will re-queue you to the drop-in list and will move you back to the waiting room. An available Dean will see you on the drop-in list as needing a Dean’s assistance and they will call you off the drop-in list and move you to their Zoom breakout room. Please note that re-queuing you is based on the time you originally signed in to drop-in advising, so you will not be placed at the bottom of the list when you are re-queued.
- If you have a question while you are in the Zoom waiting room, you can access an Advising staff member by using the “ask for help feature”. A staff member will come to the waiting room as soon as they can.