Skip to main content

Add a Course

During fall and spring terms, you have through the 5th class day to add classes to your schedule through ConnectCarolina. During Maymester, you have through the 1st class day. During summer terms I & II, you have through the 2nd class day. You should confirm your registration period on ConnectCarolina and identify important dates and deadlines on the University Registrar’s calendar.

During the 2nd week of classes in the fall and spring terms, you add classes directly through the academic department. During Maymester and summer terms I & II, you add classes through the academic department through the 3rd class day. The process varies department by department, but generally, you are required to first obtain approval from the instructor.

After the 2nd week of classes in the fall and spring terms and after the 3rd class day in Maymester and summer terms I & II, you initiate the process to add a class with UNC Advising, following these steps:

  1. Speak to the instructor to confirm approval to add the class.
  2. Visit the UNC Advising Program to obtain a form to add the class.
  3. Complete the student information and class information sections of the form.
  4. Obtain the initials of the instructor of the class on the form.
  5. Visit UNC Advising during drop-in hours and bring the completed form with you.

You must receive final approval from a dean in UNC Advising to add a class during this time.

Drop a Course

During fall and spring terms, students have through the 5th day of the term to add classes online and through the 8th week of the term to drop classes online. The registrar posts the specific drop deadlines on their calendar each semester. Dropping a course after the tenth day of classes (census) will result in a W (withdrawal) notation on your transcript. This denotes that you have chosen to drop from the class after census and before the 8-week drop deadline. Course drops can be done via ConnectCarolina via the Enroll – Drop tab.

Note that summer school has a different, and much shorter, timeline to drop a course. Be sure to note the drop deadlines for the summer session in which you are enrolled on the registrar’s website course drop page.

You may still drop a class online through Connect Carolina through the 8th week of the semester (see the Registrar’s Academic Calendar each semester for the specific deadline date). Once the drop deadline has passed, students must submit an appeal to the appeals committee of their college or school to request a late course drop. Students should consult with an academic advisor to discuss the appeal process. Possible legitimate reasons for requesting a course drop after the eighth week of classes include serious illness, personal or family problems, financial problems requiring employment after the start of the semester, or other compelling and extenuating circumstances that prevent students from meeting their academic responsibilities. Submission of an appeal does not ensure that the request will be granted, and students must continue to attend classes and complete all assignments until informed of the committee’s decision.

The Registrar keeps up to date deadlines for drop and withdraw deadlines for all academic semesters here.

If you hope to cancel your registration (drop all of your classes) prior to the summer session beginning, follow the instructions for requesting a cancellation on the Registrar’s website. This is called a “cancellation” because you never attended the class(es).

After a summer term begins, if you never attended your summer class(es) and want to drop all of your classes, this is also considered a “cancellation.”  You will need to secure letters of non-attendance from the instructor of each class.  See an academic advisor to discuss the steps you need to take to secure this documentation.

  • If you are in one class, have attended the class and want to drop the class, you need to withdraw (since you will no longer be taking any classes that term). This also applies if you are in two classes, attended both and want to drop both, you will also need to withdraw. Check the Registrar’s calendar and ensure you are aware of deadlines and the process for how to withdraw from classes.
  • If you are in two classes and wish to drop only one course, please see an academic advisor to discuss a course drop. Pay particular attention to the drop deadline dates on the calendar as well.

You should see an academic advisor to discuss your options to help you make the best decision.

Overload (>18 hours)

Academic course load policy refers to University rules concerning the minimum and the maximum number of hours in which students may enroll during a term. Academic course load rules are laid out in the Undergraduate Bulletin. Students seeking exceptions to these rules must follow appropriate procedures in the circumstances outlined below.

  • Fall /Spring semester course load limit: 18 hours
  • Maymester course load limit: 4 hours
  • Summer Sessions I & II load limits: 8 hours each (Summer 2020 Exception: 9 hours each session)

Credit overload refers to permission from a dean in UNC Advising to take more than the maximum number of academic hours allowed in a term. Ordinarily, you may enroll in up to 18 hours in a fall or spring term, eight (8) hours in summer I or II terms*, and four (4) hours in a Maymester. Requests to enroll in more than these credit hour levels require approval.  (*Exception: nine (9) hours in a 2020 summer I or II term)

What is the process for being approved for an academic overload? If you are interested in requesting an overload, please fill out this form.

Please note that meeting basic criteria does not guarantee a request for credit overload will be granted, as your circumstances are reviewed fully.

There are three ways to qualify for an overload of 19 hours (requests for 20 or 21 hours are rarely granted and typically reserved for seniors who need the hours for graduation or students in truly extenuating circumstances):

  • You earned a cumulative GPA of at least 2.500 and a previous semester GPA of at least 3.000
  • You require an overload to graduate in the term requested
  • You obtain special permission from a dean

If granted, credit limits will be increased after all grades from the current term have posted but no later than the day before the first day of classes.

Transferring Courses to UNC

The Office of Undergraduate Admissions evaluates academic credit for courses taken at other accredited institutions of higher learning within the US. The Study Abroad Office evaluates coursework from international institutions. Consult the catalog for a detailed explanation of the limits on the number and type of courses that may be transferred for credit at UNC-Chapel Hill.

Once you receive your credit evaluation from Admissions, feel free to meet with an advisor with your questions about how these courses count towards your requirements at UNC. In some cases, it may make sense to request a re-evaluation of one or more transfer courses.

You are strongly encouraged to seek pre-approval from UNC Admissions. This will help you know ahead of time how your intended courses will or will not transfer. You will need to submit a separate form for each institution you are considering. Carefully read the rules for transferring credit on the Admissions website and in the following:

You should also check to see if the university you plan to attend requires some kind of approval or certification from your home campus of UNC. Commonly requested information includes:

  • Proof of enrollment and/or GPA at UNC in good academic standing from the Office of University Registrar
  • Permission from a university official (advisor or dean) to enroll at the other institution. Advisors may sign off on these during appointments or drop-ins, but we require that you complete the Transfer Course Pre-Approval process through Admissions first.

Certification of good “social” or disciplinary standing through the Dean of Students Office.

Inter-Institutional Request

Under the Inter-Institutional Program, any approved enrolled full-time degree-seeking graduate or undergraduate student (excluding continuing studies, visiting, or non-degree students), may register for courses (with appropriate approval) at:

The student may take a course, providing seats are available, at a participating university if the student’s academic advisor or dean can certify that the course is appropriate for the student’s degree program, e.g., graduate courses are available only to graduate students, and the intended course must not be available during the same academic term at the home institution.  Visit the registrar’s Inter-Institutional page for more information and see an academic advisor to discuss the process.

ConnectCarolina Holds

There are four types of advising holds, each of which requires an advising meeting before removal: first-year advising, major declaration (typically for juniors who have not declared a major), major department advising, and senior appointment. Note that departmental advising holds must be removed by the department, not by UNC Advising. Major department advising and major declaration holds will prevent students from registering. The first-year advising hold and the senior appointment will NOT limit students’ ability to register.

First-year students are required to meet with an academic advisor by appointment during their first year at the University or attend a first-year pre-registration workshop. Students who have not met with an advisor or attended a first-year pre-registration workshop will have this hold until they meet with an advisor by appointment. Note that this hold does NOT prevent students from registering for classes.

A hold in a student’s fifth semester will be placed on their account if they are still undecided. This hold will prevent registration for the sixth semester. In order to have this hold released, you must declare a major with UNC Advising.

These students will receive an advising registration hold and will be prevented from registering until they meet with an advisor by appointment and declare a major. Rising juniors with previously declared professional school majors will be shifted to undecided status if they are not accepted to a professional school prior to registration.

Some departments require advising once students reach junior standing or earn at least 60 academic hours. In these cases, students must meet with a faculty member or department advisor in their major department before registration every semester. Students are advised to check their holds in ConnectCarolina to determine advising requirements well before their registration access period begins.

Once a student enters their 6th semester in residence, a hold will be placed on their ConnectCarolina account as the Required Senior Appointment. This appointment will not affect a student’s ability to register for classes, but it is meant to be a reminder for students to check in with advising to ensure they are on track to meet all requirements for graduation. All students should have this meeting before entering their final semester at Carolina.